суббота, 1 апреля 2017 г.

Experimental Machine Embroidery

Experimental Machine Embroidery
Experimental Machine Embroidery

Starting the machine embroidery on Thermogauze
Starting the machine embroidery on Thermogauze

This is the first attempt at free machining on Thermo gauze (heat removable stabilizer / Muslin)


I was hoping that after machining I could iron away the fabric, it worked but not as well as I hoped. The white edges stuck out of my stitching and I couldn’t achieve a crisp edge of stitch, not to mention tiny fibres that went everywhere.


I didn’t want to give up and decided to continue trying to resuscitate the piece.


After laboriously cutting out the design by hand, I began adding layers of colour using shear scarves, the kind you find on older ladies at the hairdressers, as I find they layer beautifully. After more stitching with copper and red metallic thread, I stitched painted Tyvek (builders paper) on the back and applied heat with the iron to shrink and distort the Tyvek.


I think the piece was finally saved from the bin!


IMG_0032

Stretching the work in a hoop helps to keep it stable and I use a

MyBoatPlans
darning foot on my old Bernina which enables me to draw with the needle in any direction.


IMG_0037
Layering the scarves

IMG_0038

IMG_0052

A close up of the finished piece after adding Tyvek


Ok, so moving on to my favourite machine stabilizer… water soluble, or wash-a-way. http://www.amazon.com/Solvy-Soluble-Machine-Embroidery-Stabilizer/dp/B009BGK0UE


I find this works well and if the tearing bothers you, there is a thicker one called Romeo that doesn’t require a hoop.


A good website for more on embroidery stabilizers http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4631/making-sense-of-stabilizers


The photos below were sewn on wash-a-way and then modelling paste and beads were attached.


These works were inspired by my Lichen photos.


Original article and pictures take http://kbsellar.wordpress.com/2013/06/23/experimental-machine-embroidery/ site


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий